Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Such a friend....



"I have lost a treasure, such a sister, such a friend as never can have been surpassed. She was the sun of my life, the gilder of every pleasure, the soother of every sorrow; I had not a thought concealed from her, and it is as if I had lost a part of myself."

Cassandra Austen's words always break my heart a little. On this day exactly 200 years ago, my favorite author died at the age of 41, at the very horizon of her success. I couldn't let the day pass without writing a few lines of commemoration on this poor, neglected blog. I will never cease to wonder what other marvelous stories would be in existence had she lived as long as many of her family members did. Her own mother outlived her! It seems a cruel twist of fate, but I am so glad for the six novels and various other writings she left behind for countless generations to enjoy. If she only could see what an impact she has made on the world!

2 comments:

Net - "It's a Wonderful Movie" said...

Thank you posting these beautiful words of rememberance. Indeed, what an impact Jane Austen has had on the world. It was so long ago she passed and yet, I feel like we have lost a dear friend, too soon. Her sister's words are deep and heartfelt.

I, too, wonder of all the stories she could have created beyond the young age of 41, and it makes me sad to think she never knew the beautiful amazing love that Emma and Knightley or Elizabeth and Darcy found together. So sad.

Jane Austen's novels have been and will continue to be my dearest favorite of all classic literature! Her beautiful words will live on forever, I pray!

Blessings, Net

Miss Josephine said...

I read the letters from Jane and the last ones are really sad...
Beautiful and soulful the words from Cassandra. They touching me.

:)

Would you rather hear the story...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...