Sunday, July 17, 2011

Mansfield Park Quotes

“But there certainly are not so many men of large fortune in the world, as there are pretty women to deserve them.”

“I pay very little regard to what any young person says on the subject of marriage. If they profess a disinclination for it, I only set it down that they have not yet seen the right person.” –Mrs. Grant

“There will be little rubs and disappointments everywhere, and we are all apt to expect too much; but then, if one scheme of happiness fails, human nature turns to another; if the first calculation is wrong, we make a second better: we find comfort somewhere.” –Mrs. Grant

“To sit in the shade on a fine day, and look upon verdure, is the most perfect refreshment.” –Fanny

“I think the man who could often quarrel with Fanny must be beyond the reach of any sermons.” –Edmund

“A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of.” –Mary Crawford

“Could she (Fanny) believe Miss Crawford to deserve him, it would be – Oh! how different it would be – how far more tolerable! But he (Edmund) was deceived in her, he gave her merits which she had not; her faults were what they had ever been, but he saw them no longer.”

“A woman can never be too fine when she is all in white.” –Edmund

“Sir Thomas could not dissent, as it had been his own arrangement, previously communicated to his wife and sister; but that seemed forgotten by Mrs. Norris, who must fancy that she settled it herself.”

And this concludes my section on Mansfield Park.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

I have a question, what movie version of Mansfield Park do you think is the best? I am reading the book, but I am interested in what movie is best to watch?

Melody said...

I'd say the BBC mini-series from 1983. It was the closest to the book - the other two aren't, the one from 1999 so much so that it can hardly be compared Although I haven't actually seen it myself, I've had reports...it's not only unlike the book, but has inappropriate things in it.

I go into it more explicitly in this post:
http://regencydelight-janeaustenetc.blogspot.com/2011/06/mansfield-park-movies.html

Hope you're having a good time reading MP! :)

Would you rather hear the story...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...