Saturday, January 1, 2011

A Janeite's Declaration

     I spent my young childhood in a house where Jane Austen books & movies were enjoyed by my mother and my two older sisters. Significantly younger than they, I never got a chance to enjoy them with my sisters, and they had started their own families before I was old enough.
     About two years ago, one of my sisters asked me if I had ever seen Sense and Sensibility, Which is her favorite Jane Austen movie. When I said I had not, she enthusiastically announced that I would watch it with her the next time I came over.
     So we did. Of course I liked it - I have always been pleased with old-fashioned things. I somehow knew that Pride and Prejudice was written by the same person, and I had remembered seeing that title on an old tape in our video cabinet. I found it and watched it. It was the 1940 version, so the fashions were different and so was the story. I got the 1995 A&E/BBC version from the library after that.
     I was captivated. Within a year from my first viewing of S.&S., I knew about all the novels, had seen most of the movies, read the beginning of several of the books, and about 2/3 of P.&P. I have taken great pleasure in learning all about the time era, and most anything associated with the name ‘Jane Austen’.
     What a thrill it is to be swept out of the modern world and into that of the early 1800s. A while ago I started writing a magazine about Jane Austen books, characters, & time era. Each edition would feature a novel, and if I ever wrote more than ten, I would move outside the Regency era. I decided to take my ideas and make this blog. I’ll be starting with Pride and Prejudice, since I already had most of that issue written. I love writing, reading, Jane Austen, and many things from and about bygone years, so here I am, using all those to create this just for enjoyment. =) I think this will be fun, and I hope others will have fun reading it. =) (Hopefully it isn’t too dull and simple looking - I am a novice at such things.) Please check back soon for my first ‘real’ post. I would love to know that people are reading this, so feel free to leave a comment! =)
    Have a lovely day full of old-fashioned delight.

8 comments:

Jessica said...

Great start! :-) I look forward to reading your future postings.
Welcome to the world of weblogs. ;-)

Melissa Searle said...

Looks great. :) Good job! Look forward to following and reading more. :) I agree, welcome to blogging. lol.. :) Have fun!

Andrew Garcia said...

Excellent

Charity U said...

I'm reading it! :) Your comment on Austenitis sounds remarkably similar to some that I've made on various blogs that I've found and loved. :) I had actually seen you comment on another blog and made note of the fact that you had a Jane Austen blog, deciding to check it out ASAP. I'm glad I did! :) Looks like fun.

Melody said...

Somehow I'm not surprised! Janeites think alike, I suppose. ;-) Ah! Yes, and I remembered seeing your little Darcy & Lizzy profile picture, and then I came across your blog and recognized it. Hehe. =)

Thanks for your comments, everyone!!

Elegance of Fashion said...

Welcome to the blogging world! :-)

Miss Dashwood said...

Welcome to the blogging world, almost three years late. :P I've decided to go back in time and reread all your old posts just for fun, and comment where I chuse, so here I am, popping up to say what ho. :D And to ask if you actually have any copies of that magazine any more. Why have we never really talked of this???? I should SO love to see them, if you do. ;)

Melody said...

Why thank you, my dear! ;) I've been MUCHLY enjoying all your comments, of course. :D
As to the magazine-- I never actually finished an issue of that, haha. The most I have are a few pages on the computer and then some rough drafts that are all handwritten. If you remind me next time you come I'll see if I can dig them up. ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...